Brighton and Brentford share points in six goal thriller

Premier League

In a tense Premier League match at the Amex Stadium, Alexis Mac Allister struck a last-second penalty as Brighton rallied three times against Brentford to secure a point.

Two times in a frenzied first half, Thomas Frank’s Brentford team led but were beaten until Ethan Pinnock scored what appeared to be the game-winning goal four minutes into the second half.

But, Brighton was given a penalty kick in the final minute after Aaron Hickey used his arm to deflect a goal-bound attempt from Deniz Undav.

After the spot was pointed out by referee Michael Oliver after viewing the incident on the pitchside TV, Mac Allister calmly made the conversion from 12 yards away.

Although Brighton had played well in the opening minutes, the visitors took the lead in the 10th minute when Pontus Jansson, making his first start since 1 October, went around the front post and powered in a header from Mathias Jensen’s cross.

The Brighton goalkeeper Kaoru Mitoma calmly lifted the ball over the advancing David Raya for the equalizer 11 minutes later, which was as easy as it was effective. Mitoma had raced on to Jason Steele’s long ball over the top for Brighton.

In less than 90 seconds, Ivan Toney of England scored his 17th league goal of the season after Bryan Mbeumo flicked the ball to him.

Danny Welbeck’s close-range nod from the Seagulls of Roberto de Zerbi brought the teams level after 28 minutes. Solly March had lifted the ball to the back post.

The second half started off much the same as the first did, with Brentford taking the lead for a third time when Pinnock showed no signs of being challenged at the far post to stab in Mbeumo’s free-kick.

Lewis Dunk missed Brighton’s best chance to score a third equalizer as they pushed forward in pursuit of it, but the goal did eventually come from the penalty spot.

When March’s cross struck Hickey’s arm in stoppage time, the home team thought they should have got another penalty, but this time the video assistant referee did not step in, and the teams were forced to settle for a point each.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *